The Honorable Mark Dybul, MD, is the Faculty Co-Director of the Center for Global Health and Quality and Professor in the Department of Medicine at Georgetown University Medical Center. A well-recognized global health expert and humanitarian, Dr. Dybul served as executive director of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, and the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
Dr. Dybul served as a HIV research fellow at the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) under director Dr. Anthony Fauci in the late 1990s. He conducted basic and clinical HIV research at NIAID, and eventually conducted the first randomized, controlled trial with combination antiretroviral therapy with HIV patients in Africa.
He went on to lead President George W. Bush’s International Prevention of Mother and Child HIV initiative for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and in 2006 was named U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator. As U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator, he led the implementation of PEPFAR, a health initiative Dr. Dybul helped create. He later became the inaugural Global Health Fellow of the George W. Bush Institute.
- Sanchia Aranda, Seth Berkley, Sally Cowal, Mark Dybul, Tim Evans, Katja Iversen, Matshidiso, Peter Piot, Michel Sidibe, Ted Trimble, Vivien Tsu. Ending Cervical Cancer: A Call to Action. IGLO: In Press.
- Dybul M. Health financing seen from the global level: beyond the use of gross national income. Health Economics, Policy and Law, (Cambridge University Press) 12, 117-120. April, 2017.
- Jay J, Buse K, Hart M, Wilson D, Marten R, Kellerman S, Odetoyinbo M, Quick JD, Evans T, Piot P, Dybul M, Binagwaho A. Building from the HIV Response toward Universal Health Coverage. PLOS Medicine: 1002083. August 16, 2016.
- McGillen J, Anderson S-J, Dybul M, Hallet T. Optimum resource allocation to reduce HIV incidence across sub-Saharan Africa: a mathematical modelling study. The Lancet HIV.: D-16-00064. August 2, 2016.
- Peter Piot, Salim S Abdool Karim, Robert Hecht, Helena Legido-Quigley, Kent Buse, John Stover, Stephen Resch, Theresa Ryckman, Sigrun Møgedal, Mark Dybul, Eric Goosby, charlotte Watts, Nduku Kilonzo, Joanne McManus, Michel Sidibé. Defeating AIDS-Advancing Global Health. Lancet: Volume 386, No.9989. June 15, 2015.
- Jones A, Cremin I, Abdullah F, Idoko J,Cherutich P, Kilonzo N, Rees H, Hallett T, O’Reilly K, Koechlin F, Schwartlander B, de Zalduondo B, Kim S, Jay J, Huh J, Piot P, Dybul M. Transforming HIV from Pandemic to Low Endemic Levels: A Public Health Approach to Combination Prevention. Lancet.:D-13-04658R2 April 2014.
- Cremin I, Hallett T, Alsallaq R, Garnett G, Piot P, Dybul M. The New Role Of Antiretrovirals In Combination HIV Prevention: A Mathematical Modelling Analysis Article type: Original paper (Epidemiology / Social). AIDS. November 2012.
- Hankins C, Dybul M. The Promise of Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis with Antiretroviral Drugs to Prevent HIV Transmission: a Review. Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS. November 2012: 50-58.
- Mills E, Ford N, Nachega J, Dybul M, Negin J, Druyts E. Male gender and the risk of mortality among individuals enrolled in antiretroviral treatment programs in Africa: A systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS. August 2012.
- Goosby E, Dybul M, Fauci A, Fu J, Walsh T, Needle R, Bouey P. The United States President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief: A Story of Partnerships and Smart Investments to Turn the Tide of the Global AIDS Pandemic. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. August 2012.
- Wheelock A, Eisingerich A, Gomez G, Gray E, Dybul M, Piot P. Views of policymakers, healthcare workers and NGOs on HIV preexposure prophylaxis (PrEP): a multinational qualitative study. BMJ Open. July 2012.
- Dybul M, Piot P, Frenk, J. Developing Global Health Institutions for the 21st Century. Policy Review. June 2012.
- Mills E, Beyrer C, Birungi J, Dybul M. Engaging men in prevention and care for HIV/AIDS in Africa. PLoS Med. February 2012. Available from PubMed.
- Eisingerich A, Wheelock A, Gomez G, Garnett G, Dybul M, Piot P. Attitudes and Acceptance of Oral and Parental HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis among Potential User Groups: A Multinational Study. PLoS One 2012:7(1):e28238.
- Mills E, Bakanda C, Birunji J, Chan K, Ford N, Cooper C, Nachega J, Dybul M, Hogg R. Life expectancy of persons receiving combination antiretroviral therapy in low-income countries: a cohort analysis from Uganda. Ann Intern Med. August 2011. Available from PubMed.
- Bakanda C, Birungi J, Mwesigwa R, Ford N, Cooper C, Au-Yeung C, Chan K, Nachega J, Wood E, hogg R, Dybul M, Ells E. Association of aging and survival in a large HIV-infected cohort on antiretroviral therapy in Uganda. AIDS [serial online]. March 2011. Available from PubMed.
- Holmes C, Coggin W, Jamieson D, Mihm H, Granich R, Savio P, Hope M, Ryan C, Moloney-Kitts M, Goosby E, Dybul M. Use of generic antiretroviral agents and cost savings in PEPFAR treatment programs. JAMA. 2010;304:313-320.
- Kim S, Becker S, Dieffenbach C, Hanewall B, Hankins C, Lo Y, Mellors J, O'Reilly K, Paxton L, Roffenbender J, Warren M, Piot P, Dybul M. Planning for pre-exposure prophylaxis to prevent HIV transmission: challenges and opportunities. J Int AIDS Soc. 2010;13:24-34.
- Reynolds S, Kityo C, Hallahan C, Kabuye G, Atwinne D, Mbamanya F, Ssali F, Dewar R, Daucher M, Davey R Jr, Mugyenyi P, Fauci A, Quinn T, Dybul M. A Randomized, Controlled, Trial of Short Cycle Intermittent Compared to Continuous Antiretroviral Therapy for the Treatment of HIV Infection in Uganda. PLoS One 2010:5(4):e10307.
- Dybul, M. Vision 2020 and beyond. In, Hoffman, J and Frenk J. eds. To Save Humanity: What matters most for a healthy future. Oxford University Press; 2015.
- Marconi M, Bouey P, Dybul M. Innovative health partnerships. Case studies in global health. In: Low-Beer D, ed. Case Studies in Global Health. London, UK: World Scientific/Imperial College London; 2011.
- Dybul M. The US president’s emergency plan for AIDS relief: negotiating a recreation in global health and development. In: Rosskam E, Kickbusch I, eds. Negotiating and Navigating Global Health: Case Studies in Global Health Diplomacy. London, UK: World Scientific/Imperial College London; 2011.
- Daucher M, Dybul M. Treatment interruption strategies for the management of HIV-1 infection. In: Butera S, ed. HIV Chemotherapy: A Critical Review. Norfolk, UK: Caister Academic Press; 2005.
- Dybul M, Connors M, Fauci A. The immunopathogenesis of HIV infection. In: Mandel G, Bennett J, Dolin R, eds. Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Churchill Livingston; 2005.
- Dybul M, Connors M, Fauci M. Immunology of HIV infection. In: Paul W, ed. Fundamental Immunology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven; 2003.